While the 2021 legislative session does not officially begin until March 2, your state elected officials are now busy making decisions that affect you, your community, and your environment. Doing what’s right for our state and planet is not a partisan issue. Florida’s leaders should be doing everything they can to make sure we have clean water to drink; access to vibrant natural areas; affordable, renewable energy for all; and protections of our right to vote.
Before they head to Tallahassee, legislators will be gathering feedback from residents in their districts. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, FCV recommends that you reach out to your legislators virtually. We’ve made it easy for you and your friends and family to email your leaders about your conservation priorities.
As FCV’s Government Relations Director, I’m fortunate to speak on behalf of all Floridians who care about our environment. But as their constituents, your voice matters most to your representative and senator. Can you please reach out to them on behalf of our land, water, climate, and democracy? Speak up!
In 2021, we are asking Florida legislators to sponsor or support the following initiatives:
- Repeal the M-CORES toll roads legislation and redirect the money to current priorities of Floridians, like protecting our water and helping people during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Support full funding and extend the bonding authority for the Florida Forever water and land conservation programs.
- Center environmental and climate justice concerns in your decision-making process.
- Engage in the 30×30 campaign to protect 30% of our land and oceans by 2030.
- Enact stronger pollution control measures that hold polluters accountable and protect our critical drinking water supplies.
- Fund water quality improvement projects from revolving loan funds, public/private investments, and other sources that don’t diminish funding for conservation programs, like Florida Forever.
- Develop a select committee on climate change that addresses reductions in carbon emissions, resiliency efforts, and impacts to Floridians.
- Transition to clean, renewable energy for all.
- Restore and modernize Florida’s landmark Growth Management Act to guarantee that we develop sustainably.
- Ensure that voters have easy access to vote by enacting same-day registration, automatic voter registration, or other inclusive voting measures.
- End corporate tax breaks and maintain funding for programs that support everyday Floridians.
- Protect Floridians’ First Amendment Rights
You can message your legislators on these topics and more with one quick click. Take action to help us gear up and fight for Florida!