The below letter and petition were delivered to 160 Florida state legislators on March, 1, 2021. The Protect Our Water petition collected a total of 2,040 signatures.
It’s no secret that water is the lifeblood of our state. Conservation Voters from across Florida have made it known time and again that protecting and restoring our water resources should be a top priority for the state legislature.
In response to our members’ concerns, FCV set up a petition to allow Floridians to express their feelings about our water. Due to COVID protocols, we are unable to deliver these names in person. Instead, we have included a list, sorted by district, of those who have signed the petition, attached below. We hope you’ll take the time to read the petition and sort through the list of names to find those who are your constituents.
People across the state care about water, and we know that you do, too. We are looking forward to seeing your efforts on behalf of our environment this legislative session.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.
Executive Director, Florida Conservation Voters
As your constituent, I am asking you to advocate for Florida’s water. Water is an essential life source, and we need bold leadership in protecting our water resources for generations to come.
To protect our water, I am asking you to take action to:
- stop pollution at the source,
- enact stricter pollution standards,
- empower local communities to have a voice in protecting their local waterways,
- account for climate change impacts to our water quality and quantity,
- enforce stronger drinking water standards in schools,
- require smart growth practices to conserve water in the face of development,
- invest resources to implement solutions based on scientific consensus, and
- ensure all appointed offices in environmental-related positions are filled with people who will best advocate for our water.
Low-income and minority communities often face disproportionately high pollutant exposures. As we navigate the COVID-19 crisis, it’s even more critical that we protect our environment and community. Please consider these priorities as you evaluate your legislative policies for 2021. Conservation Voters across the state are looking for your leadership.