Title: PUBLIC LANDS ORGANIZER
Status: Exempt, full-time
General Description: Florida Conservation Voters is a statewide advocacy and political organization. We are part of a network of 30 state leagues and the national League of Conservation Voters, which fights to protect our environment. We advocate for sound environmental policies, elect environmental champions, and hold those who stand in our way accountable. We are committed to ensuring fair and just participation in the electoral process by all Floridians, and we believe that access to voting is an essential foundation for citizens to engage in other issues, from safe drinking water to healthy communities to affordable clean energy.
FCV is committed to engaging new constituencies and to diversifying the environmental movement. In particular, through community outreach programs, FCV aims to foster strong local and state leadership within Latino and African American communities to build partnerships focused on addressing our state’s most important environmental issues, like protecting our drinking water and fighting the harmful effects of pollution and climate change.
FCV is looking for a creative and motivated organizer who is goal driven and experienced in movement building to help us launch our public lands outreach and advocacy. Working primarily with volunteers and partner organizations, this is an opportunity to amplify local community power, develop local leaders and move our conservation agenda locally, statewide and nationally.
Core responsibilities include:
- Working closely with FCV’s Executive Director and Deputy Director to develop, implement and evaluate issue campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders, and get the attention of decision-makers and media.
- Identifying, training and managing motivated leaders and volunteers to work as independent teams, ensuring they have the resources, plans and tools needed to meet short and long-term goals.
- Developing relationships and partnerships with Latino and African American community leaders, organizations, businesses and policymakers.
- Tracking organizing work, including developing and monitoring reports on volunteer recruitment and leadership development.
- Meeting with elected officials and agency staff to enhance our understanding of existing conservation programs and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborate with FCV’s communications team to create media opportunities and increase coverage of the program and campaigns.
- Representing FCV during networking events, partner meetings, other events relating to public lands and conservation lands.
- Two+ years community, issue, labor or political organizing.
- Experience with volunteer outreach, training volunteers, forming alliances with other groups, and leading volunteers in a team-style structure.
- Passion for the environment: clean water, public lands and healthy communities.
- Commitment to creating a culture of racial, social, and environmental justice, in the world and in the workplace.
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including an ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Willingness to learn and ability to be a creative problem-solver who is resourceful and resilient in challenging or new situations.
- Valid driver’s license/insurance, access to car and willingness/ability to work some nights/weekends.
- Access to a smartphone and laptop computer.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Experience with public lands policy or advocacy, professionally or as a volunteer.
- Relationships with local organizations that endeavor to protect conservation lands.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with word processing software, spreadsheets, and presentation tools (such as Google Docs/Sheets, Microsoft Word/Excel, Powerpoint, etc).
- Experience with organizing tools and databases.
This position is based in Orlando, Florida.
To Apply: Send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work for FCV and how this position fits into your long-term career goals to jobs @ fcvoters.org. Include “Public Lands Organizer-Central Florida” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Position open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $35,000 to $38,000.
FCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to an Equitable, Inclusive and Diverse Workplace.